National Scotch Day
Five Food Finds about Scotch
- Single Malt Scotch Whisky is made from 100% malted barley and distilled at a single distillery.
- Blended Scotch Whisky is made by blending together a number of single malts and grain whiskies.
- 90% of all Scotch whisky sold in the market comprises of Blended Scotch Whisky.
- The whisky in ‘Scotch Whisky’ is always spelt without an ‘e’.
- In Britain, the term ‘whisky’ is taken to mean Scotch whisky only, unless it has been specified otherwise.
Today’s Food History
on this day in…
1880 A.P. Abourne patented a method for refining coconut oil.
1910 Large hailstones fall in Todd and Wadena counties in Minnesota, some weighing as much as 5 pounds.
1931 A swarm of grasshoppers destroyed thousands of acres of crops in Iowa, Nebraska and South Dakota. The corn fields were totally destroyed, without a stalk left standing.
1931 Auguste-Henri Forel was…
View original post 75 more words